Dr. James R. Robinson
James R Robinson FRCS(Orth) MS is an internationally recognized specialist knee surgeon, registered with the Royal College of Surgeons of England, UK. He is a winner of the BASK (British Association for Surgery of the Knee) Presidents medal and is often invited to lecture at international meetings.
Dr Robinson undertook his orthopaedic training in at the Imperial College, London and his thesis on knee ligament injuries and was awarded the prestigious Master of Surgery degree. He has particular interest in arthroscopic “key-hole” surgery, ligament reconstruction, cartilage and meniscus repair, partial knee replacement and the treatment of early arthritis. Dr Robinson has a keen interest in research and teaching and regularly trains senior surgeons from around the world in state-of-art techniques including meniscus repair and knee ligament reconstruction. He is a member of the international ACL Study Group, reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine and on the Editorial Board of the Asian Journal of Arthroscopy.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, London Hospital Medical College, London, UK
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, London, UK
- Master of Surgery, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London
- Fellowship (Knee ligament and computer assisted surgery): Clinique du Sport, Bordeaux-Merignac, France
- Fellowship: (Partial Knee replacement) : Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Bristol, UK
- Registered 1995 with Revalidation by General Medical Council UK Dec 2015
- Clinical Research Fellow in Sports and Trauma Surgery, Imperial College London, UK
- Specialist Registrar, North West Thames Higher Surgical Training Rotation, London UK
- Clinical Fellow, Clinique du Sport, Merignac, Bordeaux, France
- Clinical Fellow, Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Bristol,UK
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Complex Knee Reconstruction, Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Bristol, UK
- Founding Partner, Knee Specialists, Bristol, UK
- Consultant Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon, International Knee and Joint Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Member of European Soc. of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery & Arthroscopy
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- Member of British Medical Association
- Member of British Orthopaedic Accociation
- Member of Societe Francaise d’Arthroscopie
- Member ACL Study Group
Awards and Honors:
- Dr Robinson’s research has been awarded the British Association for Surgery of the Knee President’s medal and the French Arthroscopic Society Basic Science Prize. He has received Clinical Excellence Awards from the UK National Health Service.
- He has developed instrumentation for ACL reconstruction, partial knee replacement and Radio-Frequency ablation for cartilage and soft tissue treatment in the Knee.
- He regularly runs surgical instructional training courses around the world for senior surgeons instructional courses on the topics of meniscal repair, primary ACL reconstruction, revision ACL reconstruction, complex knee ligament reconstructions and High Tibial Osteotomy ACL and Partial Knee Replacement.
- He has been the international guest lecturer at the Norwegian arthroscopic society, Danish arthroscopic society and has been on the faculty at international meetings in India, China, Europe and North America.
- He and Dr Brown regular chair international symposia on ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair.
Research and Articles:
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL)
- Anatomic ACL Reconstruction
- Navigated ACL Reconstruction
- Measurement of Rotational Instability with Computer Navigation
- Concerns Over Interpretation of Data in “ACL Femoral Footprint Anatomy: Systematic”
- How different grafts replicate native ACL behaviour
- How double-bundle ACL reconstruction effects knee kinematics
- Computer-assisted, double-bundle anterior cruciate reconstruction
- How AM and PL bundles effect ACL reconstruction
- Using Computer Navigation to Measure Kinematics during ACL Reconstruction
- Reduced tunnel widening post ACL reconstruction with PLLA-HA bioabsorbable screws
- Double Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
- Primary Healing of the ACL
- Morphology of ACL attachment sites
- Measurement of ACL biomechanics with Open Access MRI
Posteromedial Corner - Medial Collateral
- Biomechanics of Posteromedial Corner
- MCL structural Properties
- Posteromedial Corner Anatomy
- MCL Anatomy and Biomechnics
Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL)
- Biomechanics of the PCL and Related Structures.
Multiple Ligament Injury
- Evidence based treatment of Multiligament Knee Injury
- Improvement in Function after Valgus Bracing of the Knee
Knee Replacement - UKR)
- Patellofemoral replacement Mid-term survivouship
- Medium Term Survivorship of All-poly Fixed Bearing Medial UKR
- Medium Term Survivorship of All-poly Fixed bearing Lateral UKR
- Issues with a mobile-bearing UKR
Total Knee Replacement
- Kneeling ability after different types of Knee replacement
- Bristol Index of Patella Width to Thickness