Dr. Willem Jacob Willems
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Former Chief of Orthopaedics Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Shoulder and Elbow unit, De Lairesse Klinick, Amsterdam
- Areas of Expertise: Shoulder instability, rotator cuff injuries, frozen shoulder, osteoarthritis of the shoulder and elbow, total shoulder replacement, elbow surgery
- Years in Practice: 29 years
- Experienced in arthroscopic and open shoulder surgery
Special interest in:
- The development of newer techniques in the arthroscopic repair of shoulder instability and cuff pathology
- Revision shoulder prosthesis surgery
Education & Training:
- Medicine – Free University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Residency – Pathology, Amsterdam
- Residency in General Surgery – Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Lukas Hospital, Apeldoorn, the Netherlands
- Course on Tropical Medicine – Tropical Institute, Amsterdam
- Residency in General Surgery – Joh.de Deo Hospital, Haarlem, The Netherlands
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery – University of Leiden, The Netherlands
- Medical Officer in Charge – Mwambani District Hospital, Chunya District, Tanzania
- Private practice – Medical Centre Alkmaar, Amsterdam
- Chief of the Orthopaedic Department – het Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam
- Orthopaedic surgeon – Shoulder and Elbow unit, De Lairesse Kliniek, Amsterdam
- Authored around 80 abstracts/scientific articles and book chapters
Facts about Dr. Willems:
- Founded the Dutch Arthroscopy Association (DAA)
- Founded the Foundation of Medical Arthroscopy and Endoscopy
- Founded the Dutch Shoulder and Elbow Society
- General Secretary Organising Committee, World Congress Societe Internationale d’Orthopedie et Traumatologie, (SICOT), Amsterdam
- Chairman of the Organising Committee of the SECEC/ESSSE Congress, The Hague, Netherlands
- Chairman Education Committee of the SECEC/ESSSE
- General Secretary of the SECEC/ESSSE
- President of the SECEC/ESSSE (European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and Elbow)
- Member of many other global associations
Dr Jaap Willems graduated form medical school in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Prior to specialising he spent 4 years in East Africa, working in a missionary hospital in a remote area in Tanzania.
After returning to the Netherlands he specialised in orthopaedic surgery at the University Medical Centre in Leiden, The Netherlands.
He started practice in a large hospital in the western part of the Netherlands in 1985, performing general orthopaedics.
In 1998 he was requested to chair an orthopaedic department in a large teaching hospital in Amsterdam.
In this hospital he also was responsible for the resident’s program.
He further specialised in surgery of the shoulder and elbow.
He founded both the Dutch Arthroscopy Society as well as the Dutch Shoulder and Elbow Society .
He initiated also research on pathology of the shoulder, both arthroscopy and arthroplasty.
In 1996 he became member of the Executive Board of the European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and Elbow (ESSSE/SECEC), first as general secretary and from 2008 till 2010 he acted as president of this Society.
He published more than 60 articles on shoulder and elbow and is frequently asked as speaker for international shoulder congresses.
He was appointed honorary member of the Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society as well the Indian Arthroscopy Society.
He practises in Abu Dhabi since 2007 in cooperation with Dr Charles Brown.