Dr. Charles H. Brown
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (America)
Charles H Brown Jr.,M.D. is an American orthopaedic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with meniscal and knee ligament injuries and patellofemoral joint problems. Dr Brown is recognized worldwide for his contributions in the areas of knee arthroscopy, meniscal surgery, knee ligament reconstruction, ACL graft fixation, the biomechanics of ACL replacement grafts, and ACL graft tunnel placement. He is the most accomplished and experienced orthopaedic surgeon in the UAE in the areas of knee arthroscopy, meniscal surgery, ACL reconstruction, revision ACL reconstruction, complex knee ligament reconstructions and patellofemoral joint problems. He is the only orthopaedic surgeon in the UAE who is a member of the ACL Study Group.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Doctor of Medicine, Stanford Medical School, Stanford, California, USA
- General Surgery Internship and Residency, Harvard Fifth Surgical Service, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Combined Harvard Orthopaedic Residency Program, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- AO knee fellowship, Cantonspital Chur, Switzerland, Kantonspital Bruderholz, Switzerland
- Visiting knee fellow, University of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden
Certificate of Added Qualification: Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1988, recertified in 1998 and 2008.
- Clinical Fellow in Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Clinical Associate in Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Clinical Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Director of Sports Medicine Knee Service, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Visiting Knee Surgeon, Zayed Military Hospital, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Medical Director, Abu Dhabi Knee and Sports Medicine Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Editorial Board of the American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Director, International Knee and Sports Medicine Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Member International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Member European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- Member American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member ACL Study Group
Awards and Honors:
- Herodicus Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Voted top Doctor for Woman’s Sports Medicine by Boston Magazine
- Aircast Award for Basic Science, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
Dr Brown is a pioneer in the development of arthroscopically-assisted ACL reconstruction techniques and instrumentation, suture based all-inside meniscal repair surgical techniques and instrumentation, and the use of hamstring tendon grafts for ACL reconstruction. He performed the first arthroscopically-assisted ACL reconstruction in the Middle East, established the first tissue bank in the Middle East, and was the first surgeon in the region to use allograft tissue to perform complex knee ligament reconstructions. He has helped develop numerous surgical techniques, surgical instruments and medical devices which are used in the everyday practice of knee surgeons around the world to treat patients with knee injuries. He has authored over 150 scientific presentations, scientific meeting abstracts, peer-reviewed research papers, book chapters, surgical technique papers, videos and DVD’s, and given over 400 lectures and instructional courses on the topics of meniscal repair, primary ACL reconstruction, revision ACL reconstruction, complex knee ligament reconstructions, ACL graft selection, ACL graft fixation, and the biomechanics of ACL replacement grafts. He is world renowned as a lecturer, educator and innovator in the field of meniscal surgery and knee ligament reconstruction. He has hosted surgeons from all over the world, who have come to Abu Dhabi to observe and learn the latest surgical techniques. He has given lectures, instructional courses and organized workshops, seminars, symposia and surgical skills courses all over the world. He organized the first cadaveric knee workshops in the Middle East. His work on the ACL has been awarded the Herodicus Award and the Aircast Award by the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is currently a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon and Director of the International Knee & Joint Centre in Abu Dhabi, UAE.